September 22, 2022

34-year-old woman dies in Burton after accidental paracetamol overdose

A 34-year-old woman died at Burton Hospital after taking too many paracetamol tablets for her leg pain, her inquest heard.

Leanne Goodwin took a large number of painkillers over the course of a month, which led to her being hospitalized.

The 34-year-old was first taken to Chesterfield Royal Hospital on November 25, before being transferred to Burton’s Queen’s Hospital on December 1 due to bed pressure.

Dr Paul Smith, an intensive care consultant at Derby University Hospitals and Burton NHS Foundation Trust, said she suffered a “staggered overdose”.

Read more stories at the top of the surveys

A report read at the inquest on Thursday February 24 said she had consumed alcohol excessively – three to six liters of cider a day – and was suffering from weakness in the lower limbs and paresthesia, which began a few months ago. previously.

She had reduced mobility because of it and was unable to walk, needing a wheelchair. Ms Goodwin spent six days in Chesterfield Hospital and towards the end of her stay was admitted to the intensive care unit for “agitation”. She was sedated and put on a ventilator.

Consultants said his deterioration appeared to be due to alcohol withdrawal, pneumonia and possible encephalitis – inflammation of the brain. Attempts to wake her in Chesterfield failed.

She was transferred to Burton, where further attempts to relieve her sedation also failed. On December 8, she went into cardiac arrest and was confirmed dead at 5 p.m.

Husband Sean Goodwin has told how his wife left school and qualified as a hairdresser, but only did hair for friends and family. She worked for a short time in the canteen at Chesterfield Hospital.

Her statement, which was read out at the inquest, said: “She had been a smoker and suffered from anxiety and depression since I have known her, which is 13 years.

Video loading

Video unavailable

“She had always been drinking alcohol, but it gradually increased to the point where she had a problem with it, but it had calmed down again.

“She had mobility issues due to her health and could only walk short distances around the house. She had to use a wheelchair outside.

“She was self-medicating paracetamol, which I would buy her. I don’t know the amounts she would take.

“She was stubborn and the more you pushed her to go, the more she refused.”

He said she suffered from pins and needles in her feet and it made her lose her balance.

On November 25, she called NHS 111 because of pins and needles in her hands and legs and an ambulance was dispatched. Mr Goodwin said his wife takes paracetamol every morning.

He added: “She went to the hospital, she never came out.”

Coroner Emma Serrano recorded her cause of death as pneumonia and encephalopathy – due to a staggered overdose of paracetamol.

Mrs Goodwin, of Model Village, Cresswell, Worksop, died of a misadventure, the verdict has been entered.

We offer a free email newsletter service so you can get the latest stories from across Staffordshire straight to your inbox.

Each StaffordshireLive newsletter newsletter will contain the latest breaking news from places like Burton, Stafford, Uttoxeter and beyond. There’ll be the latest breaking news, what’s happening on the hottest events and talking points straight to your email – and it’s quick and easy to sign up. Click here to subscribe.

Decide later that you no longer want to receive emails? No problem – you can just follow the unsubscribe link.